Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What is this pile of bricks?

These bricks are stamped PBYCo which stands for Park Brick Yard Company, a San Diego brick making company that operated in the late 1800s. Bricks like these helped date and locate the original location of the McCoy House which I posted about yesterday. A few other structures have been identified as being built with bricks from this company - the Villa Montezuma and the Brooklyn and Grand Hotels which were torn down and reconstructed into the Horton Grand Hotel. Click here to read a fascinating article about the Park Brick Yard Company and the brick making process.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! I photograph different locations in San Diego that I find bricks with the X on them. My last was at the west end of Adams Ave. in front of a Coffee Shop. I have found a few places in Sherman Heights that have them. Would you mind giving the location of these. I'd like to photograph them. Does anybody know where the X bricks were made and what was the name of the Brickyard? I've been curious about them for years! Thank you....

Mon Mar 25, 05:48:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home