Saturday, September 20, 2008

Tree suicide in Mission Hills

Expat sent me this sad notice earlier in the week. Dateline Pioneer Park, 8 am Sunday, September 14th: Neighbors report the sound of this event was quite impressive -- a wild fig tree committing suicide. Looks like it just grew too much fruit for its own good. Since it was quite early on a Sunday, I don't think they'll find any squashed kids in strollers under there when they finish cleaning up. Note: Here are a few other photos of this park - click here, here, or here.

5 Comments:

Blogger expat said...

The site's totally cleaned up now. You wouldn't even know there had been a large tree there. Definitely no squashed kids. Phew...

Sat Sep 20, 10:07:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Tash said...

Oh, no. That was a beautiful tree. I've never seen a tree do itself in before.

Sat Sep 20, 11:10:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Janet said...

Guess it bore too many figs! You got some good pics though.

Sat Sep 20, 01:13:00 PM PDT  
Blogger expat said...

Yeah they were dense. I love figs (and they're really excellent in the farmer's markets right now) but I didn't trust that the Pioneer Park variety were edible.

Sat Sep 20, 03:20:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jilly said...

Oh how amazing and how sad. I have a 100 year old fig in my garden and eveyr winter we have to trim limbs else they get too heavy in summer, especially with rain and then simply crack like this. Someone should have trimmed this tree back before this happened - or supported the limbs. Makes me so sad. I adore old trees and figs are particularly beautiful.

Spectacular photos, Felicia.

Sun Sep 21, 12:28:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home