Monday, October 12, 2009

Play me didgeridoo, Blue..

Expat shares with us an exceptional moment at the market:
At the Farmer's Market (every Sunday 9-1 in the DMV parking lot on Normal Street) there's always live music of some kind. Most often it's one of those folk groups that coalesce by magic, like mariachi bands, from whatever musicians happen along. Occasionally it's a lone guitarist. Very rarely, it's a didgeridoo-ist (is that a word?)

The Sunday before last, we were privileged to have the folk group in the middle and the didgeridoo at the South end, by all the mangoes and peaches. I guess you could not just listen to this weird, haunting drone, but actually BUY a didgeridoo if you were in the mood. I didn't ask the price because I don't have storage space for an instrument I would never have enough breath for at my age. But I kind-of liked listening for a while.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stefan Jansson said...

If not it should be a word. It's a very cool instrument.

Tue Oct 13, 09:58:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Richard (SAN) said...

¿maybe didjeri-dude?
they learn to breathe in, while constantly blowing out through the instrument.
originally these were made from tree parts hollowed out by termites.
Richard(SAN)

Wed Oct 14, 11:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger expat said...

Oh, I didn't know that. And what's more, wikipedia tells me that the wood is usually eucalyptus. Lots of potential didgeridoos around here in Hillcrest....

Wed Oct 14, 01:24:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home