Thursday, September 17, 2009

Balboa Park Squirrel

Squirrels make me feel the change of the seasons. To me, they seem to be more active during those transitional days. I could be totally wrong about that. Maybe I'm just more observant of them during the season's changes. Who knows?

I found this squirrel snacking on these palm fruit in Balboa Park a couple of days ago. He was making quite a ruckus. So much for the quiet of nature! He scraped his teeth against the seed creating a loud staccato noise: squeak-squeak-squeak! I stopped and watched him go through several fruit. He sniffed out the desired produce then plucked it off. Peeling off the outer layer, spitting it out until he found the inner, squeaky center. Didn't seem like there would be all that much left of the fruit once peeling it, but there must be something tasty about it!

I hope you are enjoying the squirrels, where ever you are.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

These furry little creatures are so much fun to watch. When I was growing up in Illinois I used to see them all the time while they played right outside our kitchen window. Since moving to Arizona many years ago, I don't get to see them very often. This is such a fun photo.

Thu Sep 17, 08:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger expat said...

It never occurred to me that squirrels would eat those palm nuts -- but of course it's obvious when you think about it. There are so many tons of the nuts around right now I'm surprised we aren't overrun with squirrels.

Thu Sep 17, 11:14:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home