Sunday, July 19, 2009

It's pink!

I know it is not the best photo, but isn't this was the cutest pink car? It's a Karmann Ghia by Volkswagon. I had a neighbor who owned a blue one which was in disrepair, so he used duct tape to hold it together. This pink one was in tip-top shape. Do you have any fond memories of a Karmann Ghia?

Postscript 3/1/12 news from Richard:
I recently heard of the demise of the pink Ghia. One of the regulars at Twiggs told me he saw it burn up at Trolley Barn Park. [He was taking a walk.] The car had pulled up by the West end of the park, smoking, then truly on fire. Three police cars stopped but all of their extinguishers were un~charged and no one had anything effective to do; originally just the engine, but eventually the whole car went up in flames. I am told this happened in early summer or late spring of 2011.

Is it true or urban legend? Post a comment if you have any information. Thanks!

8 Comments:

Blogger Leif Hagen said...

Is his wife a Mary Kay beauty consultant? Ha! What a pretty, pink mobile! Never seen a Karmann Ghia by VW before!

Sun Jul 19, 09:01:00 AM PDT  
Blogger TOG said...

Boy do I have memories about my convertible Karmann Ghia. Mine was a light tan color and the top was usually down. I had it when I was in dental school. Now as the time goes by I realize how fantastic that car was (I was in school in the early 60s). Strangely in the last 30 years I don't even like cars. I just use them to get somewhere and don't think about the car.

Sun Jul 19, 09:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Hyde DP said...

A pink car! Not seen many that colour in the UK.

Sun Jul 19, 09:17:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Gunn White said...

I have never seen a car like this before.
But I WISH I had a car like it !
And I guess my husband would NOT have used it because of the color.....

Sun Jul 19, 09:18:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Ifics said...

Looks like something Maxwell Smart would drive 8-). My dad bought an used orange one in the mid 70s complete with a mac truck bull dog on the hood. He kept the car for about 15 years.

Sun Jul 19, 01:50:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend had a K-G like this when we were twenty-somethings. She took out the vestigial rear seat upholstery, leaving a useful rear package shelf, where her dog rode along, occasionally putting his head between our shoulders to look out.
Richard(SAN)

Sun Jul 19, 02:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dj Fusca said...

I would very much like to get in touch with the owner ... I live in Italy and have a convertible Karmann Ghia and would love to paint it that shade of pink?
Do you have any idea??
Any help would be greatly appreciated ... thank you, Riccardo
riccardo.panunzio@gmail.com

Tue May 25, 01:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger videos said...

Ha! I think this is my car :D

Tue Mar 01, 01:16:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home