Sunday, July 19, 2009

It's pink!

I know it is not the best photo, but isn't this was the cutest pink car? It's a Karmann Ghia by Volkswagon. I had a neighbor who owned a blue one which was in disrepair, so he used duct tape to hold it together. This pink one was in tip-top shape. Do you have any fond memories of a Karmann Ghia?

Postscript 3/1/12 news from Richard:
I recently heard of the demise of the pink Ghia. One of the regulars at Twiggs told me he saw it burn up at Trolley Barn Park. [He was taking a walk.] The car had pulled up by the West end of the park, smoking, then truly on fire. Three police cars stopped but all of their extinguishers were un~charged and no one had anything effective to do; originally just the engine, but eventually the whole car went up in flames. I am told this happened in early summer or late spring of 2011.

Is it true or urban legend? Post a comment if you have any information. Thanks!

9 Comments:

Blogger Leif Hagen said...

Is his wife a Mary Kay beauty consultant? Ha! What a pretty, pink mobile! Never seen a Karmann Ghia by VW before!

Sun Jul 19, 09:01:00 AM PDT  
Blogger TOG said...

Boy do I have memories about my convertible Karmann Ghia. Mine was a light tan color and the top was usually down. I had it when I was in dental school. Now as the time goes by I realize how fantastic that car was (I was in school in the early 60s). Strangely in the last 30 years I don't even like cars. I just use them to get somewhere and don't think about the car.

Sun Jul 19, 09:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Gerald (SK14) said...

A pink car! Not seen many that colour in the UK.

Sun Jul 19, 09:17:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Gunn said...

I have never seen a car like this before.
But I WISH I had a car like it !
And I guess my husband would NOT have used it because of the color.....

Sun Jul 19, 09:18:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Ifics said...

Looks like something Maxwell Smart would drive 8-). My dad bought an used orange one in the mid 70s complete with a mac truck bull dog on the hood. He kept the car for about 15 years.

Sun Jul 19, 01:50:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend had a K-G like this when we were twenty-somethings. She took out the vestigial rear seat upholstery, leaving a useful rear package shelf, where her dog rode along, occasionally putting his head between our shoulders to look out.
Richard(SAN)

Sun Jul 19, 02:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dj Fusca said...

I would very much like to get in touch with the owner ... I live in Italy and have a convertible Karmann Ghia and would love to paint it that shade of pink?
Do you have any idea??
Any help would be greatly appreciated ... thank you, Riccardo
riccardo.panunzio@gmail.com

Tue May 25, 01:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger videos said...

Ha! I think this is my car :D

Tue Mar 01, 01:16:00 PM PST  
Blogger St Jane said...

This used to be my ghia- i built it in high school and like the nerdy car girl i was i painted it black with red flames, when it was at a he end of that lifetime it was sold to the owners of bar pink and painted this lively pink! Yes it caught on fire and has since been repainted again! Go have some cocktails at Bar Pink in North Park and chat up some bartenders to find the owner of the ghia if you want to find out the color ��

Tue May 29, 10:18:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home