Sunday, June 21, 2009

Swinging Bridge

I decided to start a little series on San Diego footbridges and it happens that Gayle sent me this photo and facts about the Spruce Street suspension bridge:
I'm sure Felicia has probably shown you the swinging Spruce Street suspension bridge in Hillcrest before (here it is), but it's always worth another look and a walking detour when you're in the neighborhood. I recently encountered a large group of people on a walking club jaunt heading toward me the other way across the bridge. Suspended a hundred feet or so off the canyon floor with the bridge swinging grandly back and forth, I just for a moment wondered how many people the bridge was designed to hold safely. The answer, found here, is 2,186 people with an average weight of 150 lbs. No sweat - swing away!

1 Comments:

Blogger expat said...

How amazing that one Standard Sandiego Person weighed only 150 lb in 1912. What's the standard now, I wonder. 180?

Mon Jun 22, 08:40:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home