Monday, May 11, 2009

Model boat pond

When my mom was growing up she said that you used to be able to swim in the model boat pond at Paradise Point, but sometime during her childhood they put a stop to the swimming and now it is used exclusively for model boats. I spoke with a nice man who is a member of the San Diego Argonauts group and he told me that these remote control model sail boats have a small motor for the rudder and to lift the sails, moving across the water by their sail power. A small boat (about 1 meter) costs about $1000. Races for model sail and power boats are held throughout the year.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lynette said...

Wonderful photo of the boats, and I like your mother's memory.

Mon May 11, 11:19:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous lavendarlady said...

Looks like this is a big boys hobby. At a grand a boat, I don't think I'll buy one for the 10 year old grandson.

Mon May 11, 03:54:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lowell said...

I'm glad I'm not into sailing...I couldn't even afford one of these! But this does look like great fun...too bad you can't swim there anymore, though!

Mon May 11, 04:48:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Hilda said...

A thousand for a toy boat? Oof. That's serious fun. But they do look so pretty altogether like that. Must be loads of fun watching a race.

Mon May 11, 08:37:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home