Thursday, April 16, 2009

Works Progress Administration

I had a little business to attend to this morning at the County Administration Building. While taking care of my business, I learned a little bit about this building & fountain. It was begun as part of the Works Progress Administration, by Roosevelt. The fountain was created thanks to the Federal Art Project of the WPA. It occurred to me that as a subject, this fountain was appropriate for our current times.

A little sign inside told me that 15,000 San Diegans attended the ground-breaking ceremony in the 1930's. Quite an attendance!

As an aside, it is difficult to take photos around this building, what with all the security guards around.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way back in my radio days, I would drag a tape recorder to the Mayor's office (Then in that building)and a reporter would interview the then mayor, John Butler, for later broadcast. Those were the days.

Louis

Thu Apr 16, 12:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger expat said...

We got married in the registrar's office there -- in the special room that had a webcam so our many computer-savvy friends in Europe could be silent witnesses.

Thu Apr 16, 01:27:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lowell said...

Very appropos! I expect we'll have some kind of similar programs in the not too distant future...maybe we can begin working on our own infrastructure for a change.

Thu Apr 16, 06:18:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Mage said...

I'm really fond of that statue, and I am equally fond of the tiles that wrap around her base. Then again, I'm a little perverted and enjoy the banality of the WPA art results. Only in New York were there any abstractions, imagine.

Thanks for the note. I stop in every day now to see what new thing I can learn about my home town. :)

Thu Apr 16, 06:35:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home