Thursday, February 12, 2009

San Diego River at Fashion Valley

It rained here in San Diego last week. That's not so crazy. What is crazy is that it rained for 4 days straight! That is not normal. On the fourth day, my preschooler actually said, "It always rains!" Which got a good laugh out of us.

I digress. One thing that I always think about when it rains is how the San Diego River floods various parts of the Mission Valley area. One entrance to Fashion Valley Mall crosses over the river - this routinely floods, even in more mild rain storms. Another freeway underpass near that mall fills up completely with water in moderate to severe storms. After all, the valley was created by the San Diego River passing through there over millenia, so it makes sense. This is one reason I just can't get over the fact that they've built so many apartment homes down there. When I was a kid it was all shopping areas. Not that I think shops should be flooded out, but at least it wasn't someone's home!

This photo was taken at that Fashion Valley mall entrance that floods. While the raging waters have receded somewhat, it resembles in no way the trickle that it is mid-summer!

1 Comments:

Blogger jphsd said...

There's a reason the apartment complex to the East is called 'River Run'! Always makes me smile on my way to CostCo at Fenton Marketplace.

Fri Feb 13, 10:10:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home