Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Cost of living increases

I found this website that has a cool collection of old San Diego photos from the Library of Congress and other sources. I was browsing the photos and saw a photo from 1941 of the above house in Mission Hills (click here for the old photo). The caption in the old photo says, "rent has been increased from $28 to $50..." Isn't that outrageous? When I went to take a photo of the house as it stands today, I picked up the sales flyer listing the 2 bedroom, 1 bath with the 1 bedroom "helper unit" in the back as "just reduced to $775,000".

3 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Breese said...

Wow, that is so cool! That was really quite an increase from 28 to 50 and now reduced to 775! I bet they never would have thought that back in the day!
My mom, brother and neice are seriously considering leaving SD and following us out here to Virginia! I've got my fingers crossed!

Wed Feb 25, 09:30:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rent was jumped in 1941, a moment when housing became scarce, because of the war efforts.
On the other hand, should any house cost more than four years income, of a good job ? The bubble bursting is an excess of million dollar homes, and a median income of $25 to $30 thousand dollars yearly.
Richard(SAN)

Wed Feb 25, 12:00:00 PM PST  
Blogger Nancy said...

What a great find. Mission Hills is one of my favorite places.

Wed Feb 25, 12:04:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home