Thursday, October 23, 2008

Persimmons - mmmmm!

One of the neat things we San Diegans enjoy are the different fruit & veg. we can grow here. With the smallest shade of a green thumb you can enjoy a surprising variety - I have friends picking apples from their trees now! Persimmons are a lesser-known fruit (and the ones above aren't ripe yet), often depicted in old European paintings. However, once you've had a ripe one, you'll totally understand why they're in so many of those old paintings - and wonder why there aren't a whole slew of artists dedicated to painting them today (The Vermillion Society for People in Pursuit of Persimmon Perfection? I'll be president, you be secretary, ok?).

8 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Breese said...

Can you believe I've never tried a persimmon but I do have a tree here at our new house!

Thu Oct 23, 06:04:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Wh-wh-wh-wh-aaat?!? That's positively silly!

Thu Oct 23, 07:05:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My DW has a persimmon recipe for a Christmas pudding cake...very tasty!

Louis

Thu Oct 23, 01:54:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Felicia said...

Yum, as long as you know that there are 2 types - one that tastes deliciously sweet and the other is yucky. I learned the hard way.

Thu Oct 23, 05:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Tanya Breese said...

LOL, now I'm scared to try mine :)

Fri Oct 24, 11:21:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try to find some one who has a full grown Cherimoya tree, and taste that fruit !
Richard (SAN)

Fri Oct 24, 03:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Baruch said...

I love persimmons - I call them my fruit from heaven

Sat Oct 25, 12:09:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Anne said...

Persimmons are my favorite fall fruit. There used to be a pick-your-own place in Valley Center but I haven't heard if it's still open to the public. Thanks for the reminder to check into it!

Sun Oct 26, 09:34:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home