Friday, October 10, 2008

Brew

This may seem like I'm completely abandoning my food theme, but beer can be food, right? The above building is the historic Mission Brewery which operated between 1913-1918 before Prohibition closed it down. Before Prohibition, there were about 7 active breweries in San Diego, and I think this is the only brewery structure still standing today that was in operation before Prohibition. Today it is occupied with offices and shops. We have lots of great "home brews" that started out in the late 80s and mid 90s and are operating today: Karl Strauss, Ballast Point, Callahan's, Coronado Brewing, and Stone Brewery. See an old photo of the Mission Brewery here or click here-pdf to read a nice article on San Diego brew history.

2 Comments:

Blogger expat said...

In between being a brewery and an office block this was the agar factory. I still think I smell it when I'm around there.

One of the first tenants of the office building was America Online Digital City, and somebody we know worked there, until they moved the San Diego digital city to Los Angeles. We had a few good parties there, I'll give them that.

Fri Oct 10, 11:07:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Tanya Breese said...

Great picture and I love how you got the trolley in it. Haven't seen that in ages, well since 2001!

Sat Oct 11, 12:31:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home