Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Turtle in the River



There's a nicely paved sidewalk alongside the San Diego River in Mission Valley. It's a pleasant and pretty walk, however for most of the walk you only get brief glimpses of the water here and there. The brush is pretty thick between the river and the sidewalk. Which complicates things when you tell your 4-year old that you're going for a walk at the river and then she sees no river!


I spied a little path down to the water, which we snuck down prove we were, in fact, walking near a river. While sitting at the water, I happened to see this turtle sneak up to the surface...only to disappear in a flash when I moved my hand. I'll bet there's a turtle-ologist out there who can identify this guy. But that's not me, so until that person steps up I'll call him Steve.

4 Comments:

Blogger Felicia said...

Steve is pretty cute! What a great catch. I wonder if this turtle is native to the area or if it used to be someone's pet. Hopefully the turtle-ologist will answer that too!

Thu May 29, 12:11:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm think'n the official term for the study of turtles is 'Chelonology' so what we need is a good 'Chelonologist.'

Still, gotta love turtle-ologist as a word. It's probably proper.

Fri May 30, 02:24:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Turtle is a 'Red Eared Slider' AKA 'Trachemys scripta'

Fri May 30, 03:50:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

it is a red eared slider one of the most common turtles in the pet trade today they are also known as red eared terrapens it is probly someones pet because they are not native here at all

Wed Mar 17, 03:40:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home