Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Marston House

Designed by architects William Sterling Hebbard and Irving Gill and completed in 1905, the Marston House in the above photo was the home of George Marston who was regarded as "San Diego's First Citizen". Marston was a civic leader, philanthropist, and owner of Marston's Department Store - the city's leading department store at the turn of the century. All 8,500 sq ft of the house is decorated with Mission style furniture and furnishings. The little photo to the left shows canned goods from the kitchen pantry.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Breese said...

Beautiful house, love the little canned goods. I have a thing for old fruit/veg labels :)

Tue Apr 15, 10:26:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Brent McD. said...

the house and grounds are beautiful. one of my friends got married in the little rose garden

Tue Apr 15, 11:38:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is a rare beauty. I would like to own it if I could afford the taxes. I also like your idea of including a picture of things in the pantry. Nice post.

Wed Apr 16, 02:07:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home