Monday, March 10, 2008

The invisible canyon

In the "heart of the city" you might encounter the natural setting of a canyon uninhabited by people but populated by raccoons, coyotes, opossums, and other wild creatures. I've been thinking about what an interesting canyon photo might look like, but haven't yet found the perfect photo spot. This is a photo taken right near the Zoo. Behind this tree, the landscape drops down to a canyon where a road has been forged and there are hiking trails. It's about 1/2 mile in width and from this perspective you can hardly tell that it is there.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra said...

I think that's Florida Canyon, yes? I'm pretty sure that's what it's called. At least, if that's not it, Florida Canyon is really close by...

I like this image!

Tue Mar 11, 12:43:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Brent McD. said...

i agree should be florida canyon there (with florida street going down the middle :-)
did you know there's been a proposal for a citywide regional canyonlands park? i think san diego's topography is fairly unique in the u.s., and it would be a great idea to preserve these natural areas:
http://www.sdcivicsolutions.com/issues/downloads/canyonlandpaper1.pdf

Tue Mar 11, 05:17:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Felicia said...

Hi, yes it is Florida Canyon. I am always "wowed" when I see this view, but like I wrote, it is hard to "capture" the view and the feeling of a canyon. Brent, I didn't know about the proposal. Sounds interesting & I'll check out the link.

Wed Mar 12, 10:46:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home