Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Where there's smoke...

I'm no roving reporter, but I did walk to the end of my street to take this photo last night. This is the Harris Fire viewed from near where the 125 & 8 freeways meet. It looks very close, but I was standing about 30 miles away. The fires have spread quite a bit since last night. Getting accurate information and news about the fires has been challenging because there are multiple fires and as the winds change the direction of the fire changes as well. I thought I'd post a few resources that I have found helpful:

Detailed map from Google
KPBS - local public radio and TV
Craigslist local forum
Donations, volunteer and general information at the American Red Cross

Again, I hope that you, your friends and family are safe.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is so sad!! stay safe!

Tue Oct 23, 05:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Susan said...

Glad you are safe Felicia. We have been so lucky to have been unscathed so far in our area (we are in San Carlos). This has been an amazing couple of days.

Tue Oct 23, 09:48:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We certainly hear about the fires in southern California here in France. Thinking of your and hoping the fire doesn't come your way.

The volume of smoke here is very impressive.

(yesterday's peacock was amazing too!)

Wed Oct 24, 02:42:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Brent McD. said...

Felicia, I am OK although some of my friends have lost their homes. Very sad! I hope that you and yours are doing alright.

Wed Oct 24, 08:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger NorthBayPhoto said...

Great photo. Hopefully they will be able to bring these fires under control soon. Hope all of your friends and family are safe.

Wed Oct 24, 08:53:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Bettey said...

Wow... thanks for sharing this. Very dramatic!

Wed Oct 24, 01:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Felicia said...

Thanks to everyone for your support and kind words. Zentmrs, I live in San Carlos too, but we are still worried! Brent, I hope that they were able to get some of their important papers and possessions. The thought of having to start from scratch is heartbreaking!

Wed Oct 24, 02:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Brent McD. said...

as it turns out, my two friends in rancho bernardo who both thought they had lost their homes, but neither actually did. amazing. hope you're doing ok.

Thu Oct 25, 04:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Felicia said...

Glad to hear that Brent. I guess they got to go back home yesterday. Hope their wasn't other kinds of damage - like from smoke or water.

Fri Oct 26, 10:29:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home