Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Missing Eyes

I learn something new about this city almost every day. I was looking for information about the tall blue Icon Condos building seen in the photo above and found out that it began as a dairy factory. Later it was used for a plumber's warehouse and then converted to an artist community/loft apartments called the ReinCarnation Project. During the days of the Reincarnation Project, a mural called "The Eyes of Picasso" was painted on the building and was a symbol of the arts community in the East Village. As the area began changing with Petco Park's development, the building was sold to make way for these condos and the eyes were painted over. Do you remember the Eyes?

4 Comments:

Blogger Orly said...

An they are for sale! Probably very affordable. I do not recall seeing the eyes of Picasso, but this may kick on someone's memory: http://www.eyesofpicasso.org/

Wed Sep 19, 06:51:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Felicia-
Is this on Island Avenue? I think that I used to pass the mural on the way to Cost Plus. I may even have a photo of it somewhere in my junk. It was quite beautiful, reminded me of Diego Rivera.
Luv,
Susu

Wed Sep 19, 11:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Felicia said...

Thanks for stopping by Orly. Hi Susu, the Carnation building/new condos are between J & K & 10th & 11th, one block from Island. I'll have to try to get a photo of the Cost Plus & surrounding streets - good times. :)

Thu Sep 20, 11:18:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Brent McD. said...

i remember the eyes....
8-)

Fri Sep 21, 02:01:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home