Thursday, August 30, 2007

Most irritating palm tree



This palm tree, located in the strip of grass on the other side of the sidewalk right in front of my house (the city's responsibility), assaults me with seeds about 2-3 times each year. You'll notice that it's not just one huge bunch of them, but FOUR, seeds nicely staggered in age to keep reigning my yard, sidewalk, & street with little pellets for months to come (GRRR!). Here's a shot of the ground littered with seeds. The city trims the trees once every OTHER year; not enough! (although with the city bankrupt, I should be thankful it happens that often)

My palm is the only one on the block to do this - In fact, I've rarely seen any palm producing fruit. It clearly has some personal vendetta against me.

As if being pummeled by the seeds weren't enough, once dropped, they attract hundreds - no, millions - of flies as they rot on the ground & in the street. So I sweep them up, and within hours it looks like I'd never been out there. When a car is parked underneath, it almost sounds like hail - ping! ping-ping!

I fantasize about making this tree disappear (Jimmy Hoffa style would be best, wouldn't it? Or maybe I could get my hands on a stick of dynamite!). But sadly, I just look like a comic book character, on my knees with my fist raised & shaking in the air, shouting, "Nooooo! You dastardly dev--Ow!" (as another seed smacks on my head)

6 Comments:

Blogger Felicia said...

I'm not a fan of palm trees either. I've heard that rats and wild birds like to make them their homes (which equals poop). Hmmm, how to get revenge...maybe you could stick something in the trunk to make it die then the city would have to come and remove it?

Thu Aug 30, 09:33:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Rodney Dolorin said...

I understand. We had one of these trees removed from our yard. Fruit and seeds all over!!!!! What a mess.

http://alisoviejodailyphoto.dolorin.com

Sun Sep 02, 08:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Ann (MobayDP) said...

Oh I so understand your pain! lol :) I have a couple of these in my yard. And it's such a pain keeping the lawn clean with them!

As soon as those seeds drop they start to sprout too.

Sun Sep 02, 08:11:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Copper Sulfate. Available from Home Depot, sold to rid sewers of tree roots.

Thu Sep 06, 09:29:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be grateful that you actually have the pleasure of these beautiful trees in your life. One day when everyone turns around and says what happened to all the plant life on our planet, I suppose we can thank people like yourselves.

Mon Apr 21, 09:41:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you trim it yourself or pay someone? Pay it forward :)

Sat May 16, 10:02:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home