Thursday, November 02, 2006

Día de los Muertos

We celebrate the Day of the Dead where I work by bringing in photos and momentos to celebrate and honor our ancestors and the deceased. So today I thought I'd write a little something about my grandma Jane Emerson who this blog is in honor of and who died in 2002. She had 12 children, which is remarkable, but at the same time I remember her once saying when she was in her 70's that two things that annoyed her were old people that talked about their medicines and people who thought that the greatest thing that they had accomplished was having children. She believed in feeding the hungry, defending the poor, and providing shelter for the homeless. In her efforts to provide meals to the homeless in San Diego, she once said "America's finest city is not America's most loving city". (Here are a few articles about her work - 1, 2, 3.) She was resolute and stubborn too. She loved to read, drink wine, give parties, and talk politics. She was a feminist. She was a recycler and a pack rat. She was a righteoous babe. She was an excellent Scrabble and Anagrams player, although I think there were times when she may have cheated at these games. She was a great gardener. She was loving and supportive, a great listener and giver of advice. She is my inspiration.

7 Comments:

Blogger Carlos Lorenzo said...

These stories of anonymous courage and devotion always make me think of how some people have and achieve a special goal in this life while others go wandering blindly along a barren road. It makes me feel superficial in a way and watch the past with a sneer and frown. You must be very proud of your grandmother and that is a good thing to have in this life. I would like my descendants to remember me and feel this way, that would mean things were done properly.
PS: I love the chromatic range in that fabric. To show the skull in the foreground has been an excellent choice.

Fri Nov 03, 01:06:00 AM PST  
Blogger Lisi said...

Felicia, great post! You write so well and paint such a vivid image of this amazing lady. Good inspiration!

Fri Nov 03, 01:35:00 AM PST  
Blogger Kate said...

First of all, I was excited to see the great photo and then delighted to read your profile of this remarkable woman. After I read the 3 articles you posted, I am in deep admiration of your grandmother's spirit and full and busy life. Remarkable is not sufficient enought to describe her!! And, we have a St.Paul connection!! Not only the details of her life, but St. Kate's campus abuts my backyard. My children used to jump the fence to play on the campus: ponds, large expanse of lawn. All of our deceased pets are buried on the campus behind our house. What a coincidence. I love your grandmother in death as you describe her as I know others loved her in life. What a gift she is to you!!

Fri Nov 03, 03:42:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a colourful skull. They dont decorate them like this in the science labs :-p

Your grandma is truly admirable! I am sure you will be too!

Fri Nov 03, 05:13:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

la photo est superbe, les couleurs en sont magnifiques. et merci pour l'histoire. tu racontes tres bien.


the photograph is superb, the colors are splendid. and thank you for the history. you tell very well.

Fri Nov 03, 08:05:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a remarkable woman.
great post, i really enjoyed learning more about your grandmother in the articles you provided.

Sat Nov 04, 02:46:00 AM PST  
Blogger SamanthaMcEuen said...

This is such a great blog! Your grandmother actually took in my mother and oldest brother back in the 70's, gave them a room in the house on Del Monte, and my parents were married in the backyard! We grew up calling her Grandma Emmy, she was a wonderful woman and an absolute inspiration! Thanks for having this blog :)

Wed Nov 04, 06:28:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home