Sunday, September 24, 2006

Horton Plaza shopping mall

This mall was an urban renewal project that was designed in 1975 and opened in 1985. It has five levels of shopping - more than 6 city blocks - that includes 190 stores (the big ones are Nordstrom and Macy's), a movie theatre, a grocery store, a reperatory theatre and a hotel is attached to the property. So if you visit, you may not have to even leave these 6 blocks except to and from the airport! Since its opening, Horton Plaza has been a booming business and the surrounding downtown area is now the most happening spot to go for nightlife in San Diego.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe, I've been there! That was when I visited SD for the first time this summer. I was most impressed by the fact that they have a lot of open space for people to hang around, such as the tables and chairs along the outside of the stores. Definitely showing that SD is a warm place. Over here in Boston, that's something I've never seen. I'll be sure to check out this mall when I come visit again!

Mon Sep 25, 12:30:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

colourful sights, and i see that its a food lovers heaven ;)

Mon Sep 25, 01:43:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lisi said...

Felicia, thanks for this photo...it brings back fond memories, Dec 1985, the first time I visited San Diego, my friend had to work so she dropped me off at Horton Plaza and I browsed there for several hours...then almost everytime I go SD I would go there...although Fashion Valley is also a nice place too ;-)

Mon Sep 25, 10:16:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Felicia said...

Thanks everyone. Horton Plaza is a very festive mall, but I prefer Fashion Valley. Well Stu, I can see that you are not a "serious shopper" because for "serious shoppers" food is just an afterthought!

Wed Sep 27, 02:11:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home