Sunday, July 16, 2006

Wildfires

An exhibit at our Natural History Museum shows artifacts from the San Diego Wildfires of October 2003 where over 2500 homes burned down. I lived far enough away from these fires to not have to evacuate, but I stayed inside for several days because of the smoke and ash in the air. During the summer and autumn it is usually hot and dry here in San Diego. Unfortunately, these conditions along with what we call Santa Ana winds are perfect for the spread of wildfires. Over the last few days, two huge wildfires east of Los Angeles merged into one fire. We hope for rain.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisi said...

that's scary...my friends in SD had to evacuate in 2003 too, but luckily no damage to their houses.

Mon Jul 17, 04:41:00 AM PDT  
Blogger edwin s said...

I hope for rain too!

Mon Jul 17, 05:04:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Kala said...

I hope it rains too or more damages to homes! Pray for stoppage of fire!

Mon Jul 17, 05:30:00 AM PDT  
Blogger alice said...

Fire is terrifying! I remember very strong images on tv last years about LA and Yellowstone for example...and from south of France too. I think we are many to hope for rain, in many countries...

Mon Jul 17, 07:03:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never forget that fire, having to breath in the ash for days and days after and all the people who lost their homes...

Wed Jul 19, 09:58:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home