Saturday, May 20, 2006

SAN - Lindbergh Field


It was 79 years ago today that Charles Lindbergh departed from New York to make the first solo non-stop flight across the Atlantic Ocean to Paris. The flight took 33 1/2 hours - talk about jet lag! San Diego's airport is called Lindbergh Field because Lindbergh's plane, The Spirit of Saint Louis, was built here. Driving (or walking or biking along Harbor Drive) to the airport, you will see this mural of Lindbergh on the side of the Commuter Terminal building.
This post is for my friend Jodi, a pilot with SkyWest Airlines, I always think of you when I see planes. Link here to see the view from the cockpit of a plane arriving into San Diego's airport - I hope you will see this view soon!

7 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Took the Alaska flight home out of San Deigo, perfect weather and lovely views.

Sat May 20, 05:16:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Kala said...

wow - you have friends in high places * smiles *

Very interesting factoid! and I cant imagine being in a plane that long! i think I'd get sick.

Sat May 20, 11:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Sam said...

That's a huge mural! Wow!

Sun May 21, 12:03:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Sam said...

Oh - and that's an amazing shot of the airport from the sky!

Sun May 21, 12:04:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lisi said...

wow, that's pretty cool...

Sun May 21, 08:10:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that mural.

Sun May 21, 09:24:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Felicia said...

Hi everybody,
Vancouver DP - the view is nice from the planes, but from the ground it is pretty loud.
Nicolas - LOL - Yeah, I'm proud of her. Sounds like a hell flight to me.
Sam - you really can't miss this mural. I liked the approaching view too!
Thanks Lisi.
Heather, to me it says "SD airport"!
Drivin' in my car - hmmm, not sure what you mean! But thanks for saying so! LOL!

Mon May 22, 11:14:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home