Monday, November 19, 2007

Overhead wire art installations, #2

Another strange sighting from Expat:
After I found the frying pan at Hotel Circle, I kept my eyes open for more "overhead sneaker art". Behold the latest -- discovered at the North end of India Street, almost opposite my favorite pub the Shakespoo (as it's irreverently known). Like the frying pan, I surmise that the bellows was a prop in some promotional display, and once the show was over the prop-master wanted to put his work on semi-permanent display. Felicia and I wonder if this is a purely American (maybe even purely Californian) art-form, or do people sling sneakers over phone wires in, say, Helsinki?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen this done in many areas of the United States. Unfortunately, I was told that this is usually used to identify an area where illegal drugs can be purchased. Maybe it isn't like that every where.

Mon Nov 19, 12:48:00 PM PST  
Blogger expat said...

See? Anonymous reads the same urban legends as I do....

Mon Nov 19, 02:20:00 PM PST  
Blogger Wayne said...

Gee Felicia, until I read the comments above, I was looking around my house for something to tie strings on and sling over the nearest wires!! But I wouldn't want to give anyone the wrong impression!
Net pic. Thanks,
Wayne

Mon Nov 19, 06:55:00 PM PST  
Blogger Steve Cuddihy said...

huh? Art? okie....ummmm....okie

Mon Nov 19, 11:09:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jilly said...

I loved this. then I read the comments and wondered.... urban legend or not?

Nice photo anyway. Surely someone wouldn't go to the trouble of putting the same letters of both a boot and the bellows just for drugs. They'd sling a pair of Nike's over the wire and that's it, wouldn't they?

Tue Nov 20, 08:15:00 AM PST  
Blogger expat said...

Thanks for visiting, Jilly. I see MentonDailyPhoto occasionally, and especially appreciate the food-related content.

Tue Nov 20, 09:17:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The occurrance has no more to do with drug trade than broken windows. This started with end of the school year celebration (and the gym shoes wouldn't fit th next year anyway)but became chronic when laces were changed to long lasting synthetic fibers.
Richard (SAN)

Sat Nov 24, 08:10:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home